Information about Yoga Teacher Training
From the first day, you’ll dive deeply into your own practice.
After 200 hours of training, you’ll be prepared to teach yoga to a variety of students.
- Practice-teaching early in the program
- Insight into philosophical layers of yoga
- Strong physical practice and uplifting group energy
Land and Heart Yoga Teacher Training skillfully wove the philosophy of yoga into practical lessons on breathing, postures, meditation, and teaching techniques.Orla, YTT2020 Grad
- Prepare yoga teachers to lead safe, well-rounded yoga classes
- Ensure understanding of yoga’s history and evolving nature
- Use collaborative learning to develop a unique teaching style
- (instruction) be equipped to instruct 75 minute community classes
- (business) be able to strategize for marketing your teaching
- (history) know Patanjali’s eight-limbed path of yoga
- (evolution) be familiar with different types of yoga including raja, bhakti, jnana, karma and hatha
- (evolution) envision your own contribution to the lineage of yoga
- (asana) understand benefits of doing standing, seated and balancing poses.
- (anatomy)be familiar with contraindications and modifications for poses
- (anatomy) be able to describe anatomy in terms of chakras, prana, nadis and koshas.
- (meditation) have a robust personal meditation practice
- (methodology) understand how to sequence a yoga class, including adjustments/assists
- (therapy) know the context of yoga as therapy. Be confident in offering suggestions for yoga to specific populations (athletes, pregnant women, injured students, and those struggling with/from depression, insomnia, obesity and back pain)
- You will learn to teach yoga through face-to-face instruction, practice teaching, collaborative discussion and practical application of seva (community service)
- ongoing peer evaluation
- final 60 minute class
- one book review
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you don’t have to be an expert yogi, but I recommend that you have at least one year of practice. Bring some knowledge of the practice and what the practice means to you. With this background knowledge, you will excel in the program.
Yes! Attendance at all classes, outings and community service events (seva) is mandatory. Missing more than two hours total of class time will prevent you from graduating. But, pre-approved absences are allowed and missed content will have to be submitted.
Yes I do. Because I don’t want finances to be a barrier to practicing yoga. One scholarship applicant is eligible for a 50% scholarship.
Application details here
Upon graduation, you will be certified as a 200-hour Yoga Teacher with the Yoga Alliance. With this certificate, there are options for teaching, such as yoga studios, gyms, schools and private yoga. Many yoga teachers start their career by volunteering to teach at a local YMCA or other organization. Upon graduation from the program, you will have the skills to start teaching yoga, but the confidence and direction will have to come from you!
A lot of yoga students want to develop their personal practice through deep immersion-style programs like this one. Even if you don’t want to teach right away (or ever!), this program will provide insight into your personal practice and offer tools to lead a fulfilling yoga-inspired life.
Nope:) You’re perfect the way you are. Yoga teaches you to meet yourself exactly as you are. This teacher training will elaborate on that premise by encouraging you to critically examine your relationship to yourself through the lens of yoga. As Pattabhi Jois said: “Anyone can practice. Young man can practice. Old man can practice. Man who is sick can practice. Man who doesn’t have strength can practice. Except lazy people; lazy people can’t practice yoga.”
This program is for all ages, all abilities, all levels.
Yoga Alliance registers students and schools who have adhered to educational standards. Their mission is to lead the yoga community, set standards, foster integrity, provide resources, and uphold the teachings of yoga. Although registration with the Yoga Alliance is not legally required for teaching yoga, most studios and fitness centers will require teachers to be registered with the Yoga Alliance. The Yoga Alliance also provides lots of yoga teacher training information.
Community service. Seva is selfless service to others. Part of the curriculum is to spend time giving back to the community. Our selfless and simple contribution will be garbage pickup or something similar.
Sitting with “true people.” As part of the training, we will sit in satsang together. Sitting with each other and practicing music, mantra or simply conversation is an opportunity to sit as equals. In Sanskrit, satsang means “gathering for the truth.” By sitting together, we will explore what yoga means in an honest and non-judgemental setting. If possible, wear white for each evening’s Satsang.
- 200-hours of teaching and collaborative learning
- Yoga Alliance certificate
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
July in Yellowknife is hard to beat. We’ll take advantage of long daylight hours, time on the water and beautiful appreciation of the northern landscape.
Get in touch for more Yoga Teacher Training information: